Now and then somebody asks that question which should be an easy one for sommeliers but as I know it´s always the most difficult one actually: What is your favourite wine?
I should have an answer already set in my mind but it´s never there. And that question has been bothering me quit a while. Wines come and go. I get excited discovering new wines, new producers and new tastes. What I can tell for sure they change a lot and frequently. So I made it simple and decided to list at least my Top 10 and let´s say according to 2014-2015 discoveries. There is no nr. 1 or nr. 2 just my favourit 10 wines:
- Holus Bolus, Rousanne 2012, Santa Barbara County, USA
- Vouvray 2010 `Clos de la Meslier´, Peter Hahn, Loire, France
- Pinot Noir 2013, William Downie, Yarra Valley, Australia
- Sauvignon blanc 2012, Marjan Simcic, Brda, Slovenia
- Zibibbo 2013, Azienda Agricola Serragghia, Sicily, Italy
- Spätburgunder 2009 `Blauschiefer´, Meyer-Näkel, Ahr, Germany
- Krug Clos du Mesnil 1996
- Pouilly-Fume 2005, Didier Daguenea, Loire, France
- Primitivo Amphora 2010, Cristiano Guttarolo, Puglia, Italy
- Domaine Leon Barral `Jadis´ 2011, Faugeres, Languedoc, France
Those are the wines which are still lingering on my mind and I would like to open them again and again. That doesn´t mean that they are the only ones I get excited about. There are and will be many others around. Like for example recent nice wines I tried are glorious deep blackberry flavoured Sine Qua Non Five Shooters 2009 (Syrah) and Pur Sang 2005 by D. Daugeneau. These may be highlights of some evening services at Murano but nothing else. Like for example much sought after D. Dagueneau has been long listed as my favourites. Since the great winemaker passed in 2008 and the winery was passed to his family to run with new vintages coming out year by year, nothing of them tastes as much as those famous while he still was in action. It must of been him and those vintages!
Personal wine preferences change by time. It´s sometimes interesting to discuss about favourite wines. Taking account longer time scale, does our choices and tastes change? Are you a wine aficionado or geek, it´s always good to know your answers..