Regional finals today will determine next best 3 competitors running for the Sommelier of the Year 2016 title here in Grosvenor Hotel.
First task was to identify 4 wines stating 1. Grape 2. Origin of country 3. Region 4. Vintage 5. Has there been used oak during vinification.
Wines for blind tasting were provided by Matthew Clark / see them below:
After blind tasting theoretical test followed. Most of the questions were easy, but then there were those which I had just to guess. Heres some examples:
- Name the origin of country and raw material: Sotol, Agwa, Black Cow, Mate, Gunpowder.
- UKVA stands for..?
- With what country these grapes are associated: Bandola, Gamaret, Cornalin.
- Name the regions for these Australian producers: Charles Melton, Bass Philip, Moss Wood, Clonakilla, Larry Cherubino, Arras, Brokenwood, Chamber.
- State the region Rioja or Ribera del Duero to following Spanish producers: Roda, Alion, Altadi, Aalto, Contador, Muga, Pesquera, Allende.
- How is river Douro called in Spain? :)
After test 3 min interview followed where you had to justify of picking new supplier to your Hotel which had 200 rooms.
Finalist were picked and they had to go through 3 tasks during 17 minutes.
- Decantation of Henschke’s 2006 Hill of Grace which had a screw cap!
- Wine and beverage recommendation to a set menu (3 courses). Money was no object!
- Describing a glass of white wine commercially and suggesting 3 courses using English products.
The last tasks was one of my favourites. Only one contestant didn’t use technical systematic approach to wine and gave a beautiful overall description.
The last task for all was the famous Moët pouring: 8 glasses, 6 min, restaurant scene.
And here are the winner, who will compete in finals 16th of May with other winners from different regions across UK.